Eyes are incredibly complex organs, and there is a lot to know about them. Check out these five facts about your eyes. You may learn a thing or two about keeping them healthy.
- People blink about 12 times per minute, but less frequently when staring at a computer. This is why extended use of digital devices can cause dry eye. Be aware of digital eye strain symptoms and what you can do about it by reading this.
- Your eyes are getting a workout all the time. Of all the muscles in your body, those that control your eyes are the most active. Keep them healthy by staying current with your annual exams.
- Myopia is on the rise. A study from the National Eye Institute shows that nearsightedness in the U.S. among people age 12 to 54 increased by nearly two-thirds between 1970 and 2004.Researchers believe this could be due to more frequent close work and decreased time outdoors.
- You read 28 times slower on a screen than on paper. So give your e-reader a break every once-in-a-while and pick up a good book.
- Each person’s retina is unique; even identical twins do not show a similar pattern of blood vessels. This is what makes technological advances in retinal mapping so beneficial. At Northcenter Eye Care, we offer retinal mapping for early detection of a variety of eye diseases and conditions.
With decades of combined experience, we know a lot about your eyes. You can learn more too by visiting our webpage and viewing videos on eye health topics on our Eyemaginations player.
Photo courtesy of freedigitalimages/stockimages.